Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Um, Can You Help Me...



I hate it when I have to ask the wife to whip off her shirt to get people's attention. But -- now that I have...

About a month ago, the Canadian film business seemed to step into a vortex; and in a post on finding our way out, I asked for thoughts I could pass on to the Heritage Minister. I've received a few strategies from readers and fellow bloggers, while others have posted their own opinions elsewhere.

In a profound example of how an outsider can see the problem with a clarity beyond the locals, may I recommend a trip to Bill Cunningham's place for words that are particularly inspirational.

Today's events -- Jim Shaw back to writing cheques to the CTF after winning a Task Force investigation and a settled ACTRA strike hitting a new snag, -- would suggest that we're in for a wholesale change in the way we do business and maybe this time it should be us, instead of our betters in Ottawa, who determine where we're going.

So, if you have ideas on making the Canadian industry stronger, better or at least more interesting, add your comments to this post or send me an email address I won't publish, so I can hear from you in private. "Forgive me father for I have sinned, I had unclean thoughts about Mary Walsh and Bubbles..."

Anyway, as I said before, your ideas will be passed along and they will be heard and considered.

Thanks for stopping by.

Okay, Hon, you can put your shirt back on. On second thought...

5 comments:

Cunningham said...

Jim -

Let me say that when you address a problem, you do so with "both barrels."

Keep fighting the good fight...for all of us.

Diane Kristine Wild said...

Wait, nothing for the ladies? Never mind. I'm not crazy about the beefcake and I have no thoughts to pass on anyway. Just ... make shows I want to see, and let me know I want to see them. The end.

The Film Diva said...

I can't help but blame Will Dixon for that pic.... :-)

I'll check out the post you recommended and thanks for the PDFs. I'm writing a post for them now.

jimhenshaw said...

Busted!

Happy Birthday, Dix!

wcdixon said...

Yes, I'll help you. But first I'll need you to reach up and stretch those arms high...wait a sec...stop it Will!

What to suggest Jim...my brain hurts. Best I can come up with is to either maintain the course with some slight modifications and get the system that is already in place working more effectively (essentially somehow enforcing the guidelines so everyone is playing by the rules as opposed to trying to find ways around them)...OR...or what? Who do you go after? Where do you start? Make more shows more often seems obvious enough, but until the expectation of some profit potential is assured to the companies/ cablers/broadcasters, there's going to be nothing but resistance to that notion. So should our energy be focused on getting the crookedness and corruption and indifference cleaned up? Perhaps, but that won't get any of us working more. So I'm feeling a little helpless, or hapless, right now. Sigh.