Sunday, June 09, 2013

Lazy Sunday # 276: Stronger Beer

I’ve been from one end of the country to the other this week, each day reminded more than once of what a special place I’m blessed to live in.

There were the natural moments, like walking out my motel room door one morning to come face to face with an entire herd of Elk, who seemed to all look up and make eye contact in unison and then, just as uniformly, returned to grazing.

But mostly, it’s been the people. We really are awful damn friendly. And what’s more, not a single conversation I had, either casual or serious, ever touched on the hot topics of the day on the news or in my social media streams.

No whining. No regurgitating the talking points. It seems most of us just have better things to do.

On the anniversary of the Tiananmen Square massascre, I had a beer one with a guy who’d been there and only wanted to talk about all the happiness he’d found in this country. On another, I shared a brew with a bunch of guys heading off to do the back-breaking work of fighting forest fires and joked about the dangers.

We’re not only friendly, we seem constantly imbued with a sense of joy.

Or maybe we’ve still got a bit of a buzz going from the drinks we shared the night before. Since, after all, we do have stronger beer.

I gotta hit the road. So have a cold one for me today. And –- Enjoy Your Sunday.

No comments: